With the holiday season upon us, you may be asking if a detox diet is for you. I participated in a detox program recently sponsored by my friends at Life Time Fitness. It was an experience and I definitely lost weight. When you do it right, an occasional detox clears your body of toxins and it has been proven to speed up your metabolism, boost your energy levels and enhance your overall health. The LifeTime Fitness D.TOX Kit had everything I needed in it. I just had to use it. And that’s where I went wrong.
3 Mistakes to Avoid when Doing a Detox Diet
When I read that a detox diet could help me lose weight, gain energy and learn healthier habits in just 14 days. I was all for it. I was sent the Life Time Fitness D.TOX kit to give me the tools I needed to get started. But I made some mistakes along the way.
- I didn’t prepare. Once I received the D.TOX kit I should have registered it to get the shopping list, “allowed food” list, and to just know what I was getting into. It’s not just about making a protein shake each morning like I thought. There was a lot of hard work and thought that went into the detox diet program and by not preparing before starting, I wasted it. Having “allowed foods” on hand and a meal plan ready for the week would have been very helpful.
- I didn’t take advantage of the coaching. The D.TOX kit included free unlimited coaching by Life Time’s certified Health Coaches via email or phone. I meant to call. I really did. But I never actually did make that call. I’m sure I would have received encouragement and tangible advice if I had. It’s always better to have accountability with someone and just to know you aren’t in it by yourself.
- I didn’t eat enough. Sounds crazy right? When it came down to it though I lost a lot of weight, more than what was recommended, because I just wasn’t eating. I didn’t know what to eat so I just didn’t eat anything. This also made me grumpy. While a detox diet may help you lose weight, that is not really its only purpose. Monitor yourself (or have a medical professional do it) and modify the program if you are losing too much weight.
I’m going to do the D.TOX program again and this time I’m going to do it right. Why wait until the New Year to get healthy, right? The Life Time D.TOX kit is on sale right now. You don’t have to be a member to buy or participate in the program!
More About the Life Time D.TOX Program
The D.TOX kit provides the key nutrients involved in overall organ function to help your body cleanse, reset its metabolism and eliminate toxins. Their program guides you to eat fresh, clean food in addition to your supplements. This way, you can fulfill your nutritional needs while cleansing your body. The Life Time D.TOX℠ Detoxification Program includes:
- Mediclear-SGS™ vegan protein powder to support tissue repair and regeneration (available in Chocolate or Vanilla). I mixed it with fruit and either water or milk in the blender and it is actually very tasty.
- FiberMend® to enhance digestive function. I added this to the shakes I made and didn’t taste it at all. The fiber did work to cleanse me but in a gentle way. No running to the bathroom!
- Full program guide and directions
- Approved food list, grocery shopping guide and sample meals
- D.TOX-friendly menus, exercises and health tips
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.