For all the pint-sized runners (and their parents) this is a public service announcement to make sure you knew that the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia Peachtree Junior is coming. The 3K, 1/2K, and 50m Dash will be held on Saturday, May 14th at Piedmont Park. Get ready!
More than “just” a kids fun run, the Peachtree Junior is a way for kids aged 14 and under to push themselves and stretch their limits. Often, this is the children’s first time running a race and it is an encouraging way to get started.
The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia Peachtree Junior is open to kids of all abilities. There will be a 3K fun run for kids ages 7-14, a half-kilometer run for ages 5-9 and 50m dash for ages 6 & under. This event is event to get them excited about the AJC Peachtree Road Race, an Atlanta 4th of July tradition. New this year, all registrants in the 3K (only) will receive a finish time for their run.
Dan O’Brien will be at the Blue Cross Blue Shield Peachtree Jr this year!
After completing the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia Peachtree Junior, participants are invited to enjoy a post-race festival on the Active Oval. Kids can participate in a kid-friendly decathlon featuring special guest, 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Dan O’Brien.
Dan O’Brien won the gold medal in the decathlon at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. O’Brien will be on hand to give tips and motivate children through ten different disciplines which include high jump, shot put, javelin and hurdles, to name a few. The decathlon will be open to participants ages five and older.
10 Decathlon Events at the Peachtree Junior will include:
- 3K or 1/2K
- 40yd Dash
- High Jump
- Shot Put
- Long Jump
- Turbo Javelin (kid-friendly javelin)
- Standing Broad Jump
- Shuttle Relay
Dan O’Brien, who won the gold medal at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, will be the guest of honor at this year’s Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia Peachtree Jr.
Win a FREE registration to the Peachtree Junior!
Know Before You Go:
- The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia Peachtree Junior events are held rain or shine.
- There are several things not allowed at at the Peachtree Junior including headphones, pets, or wheeled conveyances of any kind, including baby joggers/strollers, roller/inline skates, and bicycles.
- Parents are not allowed on the track for the 3k and 1/2k race.
- The 3K (only) registrants will be timed and unofficial results will be posted by race number the afternoon of the event. No personal race registration information will be included.
- Early packet pick up can be done on Friday May 13 at Atlanta Track Club’s office.
- Registration Cost: 3K/$25, 1/2K/$20, 50m Dash/$20
- Deadline to register on event day: 8:00 a.m. (T-shirt sizing and availability cannot be guaranteed for those registering on race day.)