Healthy hair. That’s what we all want, right? It’s not good hair or long hair, but rather healthy hair should be our goal. I was recently introduced to Louis Quarterman, one of Atlanta’s top hair stylists, and had a great conversation with him about how to achieve my personal goal of healthy hair. Louis owns the hip salon, Louis Quarterman Salon, in Atlanta’s Midtown neighborhood. Louis Quarterman Salon embraces men and women of every ethnicity and hair texture. And they don’t just say that. It’s true. I love, love, love that they know exactly how to take care of my mixed texture hair. It was obvious to me that this guy has studied hair textures and he really knows his stuff.
I was treated to a complimentary hair style to check out the offerings of the Louis Quarterman Salon and I was really impressed with both my hair and my experience at the salon. My hair was soft and super shiny, and I was amazed at how quickly the stylist was able to blow out my rather long, curly locks. The salon was clean, professional, and made me feel like the hipster I’m really not.
Since Louis Quarterman had such great information for me, I asked him for his top tips for healthy hair that anyone can use. It’s a new year so why not use this as an opportunity to get that shiny, bouncing, “gosh you look good” hair!
Five Tips for the Healthiest Hair
- Shampoo – Always shampoo your hair with products that suit your hair type. Choose shampoos that are not alcohol based or contain sulfates. Shampooing hair too often can leave hair dried out, depleted of its natural oils, and may damage your hair.
- Conditioner – Use conditioner that matches your hair type, length, and damage level. A good rule of thumb is to condition every time you shampoo your hair, although very processed or dyed hair probably needs a little more love than chemically free hair.
- Hydration Treatment-Treating yourself to a hydration treatment once a week, helps keep your hair silky and smooth. In a hydration treatment, the steam and heat cause the hair shaft to expand, thereby allowing the conditioner to truly seep in and do what it is designed to do. The steam will drive the conditioner deep into the hair, leaving it smooth and shiny. A hydration treatment is also a great treatment for dandruff and itchy scalp. The steam will infuse moisture into the scalp and the heat kills any fungus or bacteria causing the itching. The steam in conjunction with the conditioner is able to seal the moisture in and protect the hair from damage. This produces hair that is moisturized in return the hair is able to hold styles longer. (Want a deal on a hydration treatment at Louis Quarterman Salon? Get it on Groupon!)
- Trimming- Trim your hair regularly. Many women with perfect hair never have split ends because they make it a priority to get their hair trimmed, or trim it themselves, every 6-8 weeks.
- Eat healthily. Give your hair the right amount of vitamins. Since hair is made of proteins, eat a balanced diet rich in lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. A healthy diet will ensure hair that looks and feels better.
Are you in Atlanta? Check out Louis Quarterman Salon if you want a professional environment (no waiting around all day to get your hair done). I found them to be flexible, available, and willing to do whatever they could to make the client happy. And they gave me some shiny, beautiful, HEALTHY hair!