Are you into Star Wars™? Into Disney? Well have I got a duo for you! Star Wars™ Weekends are returning to Walt Disney World this year for select weekends in May and June! I confess that I am not much of a Star Wars™ fan (though my daughter rocks the Princess Leia buns often), but I know people who are! One of my blogger besties, Amiyrah Martin, knows EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know (and probably stuff you didn’t want to know) about Star Wars™. And she earned one of the coveted spots on the 2015 Disney Moms Panel so she obviously knows EVERYTHING about Disney too. Luckily, she let me pick her brain a bit about Star Wars™ Weekends so I can pass on some of her awesome info to you! You’re welcome.
1. What is Star Wars™ Weekend?
Star Wars™ Weekend is a special event held at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World. This intergalactic extravaganza lasts for 5 weekends, between May 15th and June 14th, 2015. Guests are able to enjoy special presentations, shows, autograph opportunities and even a fireworks spectacular that you’ll only experience during Star Wars™ Weekends.
Want to see for yourself what the weekend entails? Check out this super cute video featuring the lovely Amiyrah!
2. Who should go to to Star Wars™ Weekend?
Well, as a Star Wars™ fan, I most definitely think that everyone should attend Star Wars™ Weekends at least once. Whether you’re a fan of the saga, a big Disney fan, or you just love to have a unique vacation experience, Star Wars™ Weekends is perfect for you. You don’t have to be a big Star Wars fan to attend this family-friendly special event. And yes, even little princes and princesses love the space-themed magic that goes on during the special event. They get to see some amazing Star Wars™ characters walking the parks and interacting with Guests. It’s so cool!
3. Are their special character dining opportunities during Star Wars™ Weekend?
Star Wars™ Weekends 2014 introduced the new experience of Star Wars™ themed character dining. Families can have dinner with Jedi Mickey, Princess Leia Minnie and more at Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars™ Dine at Hollywood and Vine. If you’re a big Star Wars™ fan, you will love the Star Wars™ Dine-In Galactic Breakfast at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant. You get to interact with characters from the Star Wars™ saga! These dining experiences start May The 4th, so families that may be visiting Walt Disney World before the start of Star Wars™ Weekends can partake in the experience as well.
4. Are their opportunities to meet special guests?
One of the best parts of Star Wars™ Weekends are the special guests that visit. Autograph Opportunities are offered to Guests visiting during the special event. These complimentary interactions are one-of-a-kind experiences, with actors from the Star Wars™ movies as well as actors who have voiced characters in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. There are FastPass+ selections for each of these Autograph Opportunities, which means Guests are able to have more time with the actors and create a lasting memory.
5. What are some tips for navigating the crowds during Star Wars™ Weekend?
Crowds can become a little overwhelming at certain times during Star Wars™ Weekends, but here are a few tips:
- Take a break in open space. Our family tends to escape the large crowds by taking a seat around Echo Lake, across from Oasis Canteen.
- Line up early for special experiences. If you’d like enjoy Legends of The Force: Motorcade and Celebrity Welcome or sign up your little padawans for Jedi Training Academy, you’ll have to arrive early. For example, Jedi Training Academy sign ups start at park opening and the queue fills up quickly. The early mouse gets extra magic!
- Use the Star Wars™ Weekends schedule to your advantage. If you don’t plan on attending a special event listed in the Star Wars™ Weekends brochure, use that time to explore other attractions and shows. Guest attendance will be lower since the big Star Wars™ fans will be attending special presentations all over the park. Our family used these times to visit Darth’s Mall and stock up on limited edition merchandise. We also used that time to ride Toy Story Mania…twice!
Want to know more? Visit Disney’s dedicated Star Wars™ Weekend site. May the force be with you. (I couldn’t resist.)
About Amiyrah Martin
Amiyrah Martin is a New Jersey wife, mom, airman in the Air National Guard and online Freelance Writer. She’s also part of the Disney Parks Moms Panel, an online forum where moms (and dads!) answer your questions and offer advice and tips about Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, Disneyland Resort in California, Disney Vacation Club, Disney Cruise Line, team sports at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and runDisney events.