As a mom of four, I give up a lot. I don’t always have the time, money, or energy to do or buy all the things I want. But there are some luxuries that I REFUSE to give up.
1. RaceTrac fountain drinks. This is one of my weekly little luxuries I won’t give up. It costs me just about a dollar to get a cold fountain drink (almost always Diet Mtn. Dew) with the perfect amount of the perfectly crushed ice. Yes, I could buy a 12-pack for $3-$4 but there’s something about a sparkling fountain drink that just quenches my thirst. It’s my no-calorie treat. And I won’t give it up. Maybe they’ll bring back sodapalooza. #fingerscrossed
2. Gym membership. I belong to the YMCA of Atlanta and love it. I can work out and get eight hours of free childcare each week. I play tennis there, take zumba classes, run the track, and lift weights. I also use the free Wi-Fi, spend some quiet time drinking a Coke Zero, or maybe just read a book. I’m not giving this place up.
3. Sirius/XM. Last year, there was a point when our Sirius/XM subscription expired and I had to listen to regular radio for a week. The commercials. The repetitive music. The unfunny attempts at humor. Ugh! I got that Sirius/XM back…tout de suite. I need my CNN and Today Show channels to keep up on the news of the world and Sway in the Morning keeps me up on all the news the rest of the world cares about (like the latest Amber Rose saga). My girl (in my head) Hoda Kobe has a new show starting next week I’m excited to listen to as well.
4. Disney. Yes I know there are lots of places to vacation. And I know Disney World (or Disneyland) is expensive, especially for a family of 6. And I know Disney isn’t for everyone…but it is for me. I feel a sense of euphoria when I pass through the Disney World arch. There’s a joy I get from bringing my family to a Disney Park that I just don’t feel anywhere else. Maybe I can’t go for a whole week. Maybe I can’t ball out there like I want to. Maybe I can’t visit all the parks or eat all the food or buy all the souvenirs, but I’ll take any bit I can get. I’m crossing my fingers to get invited this Spring to Disney Social Media Moms conference so I can get a taste.
5. Date nights. Babysitters are expensive, as are movies and dinners and theater tickets. But a night out without the kids reminds me of who I am at my core. Date nights remind me of who my husband and I are at the core. It’s nice to remember that I’m a wife and not just a mom. Some weeks date nights are what keep me going. Not gonna give it up. Nope.
What luxuries do you REFUSE to give up?